Monday 12 January 2015

Try Not to Make a Nut Pun for this Blog Title...


Which was my mind set going into writing this up in the first place. I mean how do you not? I was thinking about calling it, "A Nut Shot to the Mainstream" or something in that vein. But it's not about the title that we are here, we are here to hear my thoughts and takes on comic books, the ones I love and the other ones that I send to relatives in Chile, so they can be used as fuel for the stove ovens. I am pleased to say there will be no book burning here today, no Jeph Loeb off his rocker here, no today, I would dare say, we got a gem. Out of recent, when I think Marvel, I think of a disappointing and messy cross over event that didn't do anything but magic wand the history of some characters and make others "good". And sure I signed up for Secret Wars, but I am very worried and scarred that this is all leading into a massive big restart on everything. I would rather see Marvel vs DC, Death of Superman and Spider-man Clone Saga again then do another massive restart. The worst thing though is how there is little to no regard for some of the smaller titles, which also happens to be Marvel best work, books like Daredevil, Elektra and Ghost Rider. I get that the Avengers are money makers, but if you ask me, it's the smaller heroes who really make some the best and fun reads every week. And we got a new one, and I hope this series goes to the moon and beyond, we need more series like this, we need more Squirrel Girl. The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl to be exact, by writer Ryan North and artist Erica Henderson! Leave your continuity and canon at the door. 

The short story, this book is a great fun read and if you are looking for some sunshine from your books, then pick this book up. And get the variant covers as well, hell get all the variant covers! Be sure to sign it up to your local store pull list if you can. Let the big wigs at Marvel know that you want more and more books like this! 


The book brings us up to speed with Doreen Green, the Squirrel Girl, who I think was last seen in the pre Marvel Now New Avengers series, so it's been a few years since we have seen her in any of the books, though I could be wrong. She moving out of the attic and going to school, to get an education and make some non squirrel friend. All the while making the grades and fighting bad guys, Squirrel Girl decides to separate her lives and create a secret identity, along with a fancy new theme song to boot. It's has a colourful and upbeat feel to it all around, from panel to panel you just start to fall in love with this book. And does Squirrel Girl look crazy, sure, I guess but it's crazy in a lovable way. While she may not have that supermodel Black Widow or Emma Frost look, you know that Squirrel Girl would actually be tons of fun to hang out with. She is the kind of person who parties all night and goes to Denny's at 5 AM for the grand slam meal. And who wouldn't want a grand slam meal? 


The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl feels like a great indy book, and it is even more incredible that is a title from Marvel comics. It pokes fun and some the silliness of past comics and tropes as well, it pokes fun at college student life, it is overall just a great title and I will be damn disappointed if this series gets cancelled or doesn't get the love it deserves. So go out and get that Squirrel Girl! 

That was my Marvel comic for this week, and let it be known that this one beat out a lot other books I wanted to recommend like Daredevil and All-New X-Factor (get those ones as well, they're really good). But I will be posting up later on in the week my DC Comic review which most likely be Batman or something Batman related. Then an update on Glass Prison and how that is coming along, then a look at an indy or smaller publisher comic, might do Wytches or Bitch Planet. And then Friday an editorial about something, not sure yet, I could write something about hockey or wrestling, who knows. But that's all the time I got for now, be sure to like, comment, repost, tweet and all that good stuff, any and everything helps and is very much appreciated. Also check out all the links below, these are different pages with my and my friends works, so check it out you beautiful people you! Until then, keep chasing the storm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment