Monday 15 December 2014

Everybody Time Travel...


You know it's funny, or is it sad? Or both? But since the Marvel Now relaunch of the X-Men series, the main theme has been time travel. And they make it seems so matter of fact and convenient. Like hey, you know what would be great if I brought young Cyclops here and introduced him to old Cyclops, just because old Cyclops is a dick...and a poopy head. I don't know why Beast thought that was such a grand brilliant idea. But everyone knows if you mess time up, there are going to be some massive repercussion on existence. What kind of world would we be in, if we went back in time and took out evil dictators or the guy who invented the hamburger, would someone else rise to power and would we have something better than the classic cheeseburger? I am not sure. But I am not quite sure why Brian Michael Bendis feels like a time wizard, writing up these crazy stories. Bendis is a funny writer, and his reception is quite polarizing. Those who like him, swear to the great book of comics about this guy. Those who hate him , probably want to paper cut him to death with copies of Avengers: Disassembled. I take him with caution, he doesn't always write the best stuff out there, but I did enjoy the build up he had to Secret Invasion and how it all played out, but I do wonder how a story reveal can simply be, cause she was crazy. And with that being said, today we are going to be taking a look at Uncanny X-Men Annual, part 1 of 2, the second part will be in All New X-Men Annual. Both parts written by Bendis and tell the story of the new mutant, Eva Bell, the time manipulator from the cool mutant team, Cyclops and his rebels. Being an entirely new character, I liked her mutant power. She was able to capture the Avengers in a time bubble, that's pretty freaking powerful! Although her costume is a bit of a head scratcher, she wears a really short skirt, like anime otaku kind of short. But other then that, she's pretty darn cool. So in recent issues, we see now that Eva AKA Tempus is a lot older, after training to control her powers, she comes back older and wiser. But what happened, where did she go? That is this story, and its two parts, so it's got to be good...right?


So one thing to keep in mind off the bat, this book has a different artist then the ones we have seen so far on Uncanny X-Men, so it does have a fresh feel to it, which is welcome. And I will say, it's nice to see an Annual issue actually mean something, the Amazing Spider-man Annual was pretty lame aside from the great back stories, especially the mini Aunt May comic, pretty great stuff. But I've been so used to seeing Annuals just be small short stories, that you don't need to read to progress the series. So it's very cool, to have a hanging question in the story get answered. A lot of this book is saved by the art from Andrea Sorrentino, it's a very unique style and it plays extremely well with Eva going through different time periods and slowing down time, not to mention her take on a future X-Men member is absolutely stunning. I wanted to see more of that. To be honest, the book gets a bit crazy for me with the writing and the pacing of the story, but that's what happens with time travel, you get some really messy stories and a lot of unanswered questions. I understand what is going on, but there is a time jump moment here and you don't get any details on what went down, you just know that Tempus has been there, but you don't know what she learned and who she met and all this other stuff that would happen in time. And it's important especially considering how this part of the story ends. Basically I feel like I wasn't given enough information to care enough about her new life, but hey, maybe this will be revealed in the second part? I doubt that, because a bigger reveal took place and I am pretty sure that is going to be the main meat of the story in part 2, and that stuff is pretty interesting, I am curious to see what's going to happen there.

But reading this, I will say, given more issues I feel like we could've had a greater story being told. But I guess that's what happens with time travel. Sometimes I really wish they didn't touch it too much, I mean other worlds and universes makes sense to me, you can do anything there and have no repercussions on the main time line. When you go back and forth though, you know something has got to change and it has got to be a big change. I don't know, I guess it doesn't matter seeing as Marvel is ready to blow everything up and restart all the different books and series. Damn it.

So that's my Marvel Monday review, this might be a thing now. I was thinking about looking at AXIS #7, but it's crap. I don't want to give it any attention and in my books, Magneto will always be the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. I don't want to beat a dead horse, seriously disappointed in Marvel with this move and I won't be picking up Uncanny Avengers when it comes out, it's all a silly ploy for movie rights. Not worth my time or yours, seriously don't get that book. I will be back tomorrow with a DC Comic for Tuesday, but if you guys have any comments or questions or anything, feel free to drop a line below. Much love and remember guys, keep chasing the storm! 



Hey guys, be sure to follow these great pages as well. You can find a lot of great comics and great clothing as well, a lot of stuff that I have been working on and people I have been working with…

Twitter: @ChileanStorm
Instagram: @ChileanStorm
Clothing Line: http://captainzinc.com/



Check it out, tell your friends and be a storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment