Friday 14 June 2013

Step by Sketch: Shazam

It's a funny thing isn't? The first blog I did in this format, a step by step tutorial on my process of going through a sketch card, I was drawing Black Adam. I am back again doing another one of these and the character I chose is none other then Captain Marvel, better known as Shazam. So I am taking care of both the magical titans of Shazam, which is has been a lot of fun to draw both these iconic characters. A lot of great stories with these guys, especially the DC comic classics Kingdom Come and Justice. I highly recommend you pick this up when you get the chance. So without further adieu, let's get sketching...

Step 1: Just sketch, pencil to paper and start drawing. I want to give the feeling here of Shazam being a big and strong hero but with a very happy and cheerful attitude, his inner Billy Bastion if you will. He had to be big though, like larger than life kind of hero, the storm in the background just solidifies his power. Whenever you approach any of these kind of works, you want to have an idea of what you're going to be drawing, it doesn't have to be exact and you can change things up as you go, that's why we got the eraser. 

Step 2: Now this is me trying something a little different, I am just experimenting with this. For this one I wanted to try colouring it first, before I inked. It usually goes the other way around, and I highly suggest to stick to that routine. I went with the classic colours on Shazam, the red and yellow, but I wanted to throw in a little bit of gold in the mix. I chose a dark navy sky instead of an entirely black sky, cause I felt that Shazam is a bright happy go lucky kind of hero, he's not exactly the dark knight or anything like that. Again nothing to out of the normal here in regards to colours, but always be open to experimenting with colours and characters, you'll never know what you will create, so be creative.


Step 3: The final step here, the inks. Again I wanted to try something different, so I went over the lines with the ink after the colour, but it's highly suggested to stick to usually format. I wanted to bring out the bolt on him more then anything in the picture, as well as the bolts in the background. 

And that is final piece, hurray! 

So what did you guys think? Let me know in the comment section below. And remember guys to check out my new video and subscribe to the Maddsketch channel on YouTube. Also check out his Facebook page, give it a like and don't forget to like the Spent Pencils page as well. We also got a giveaway going on, so watch the video to see how you can get some free comics as well, and a lot more giveaways to come, so stay tuned. Also subscribe to this blog and follow me on Twitter and on Instagram through @ChileanStrom. 

Thanks a lot guys, tomorrow I got a big SP picnic and the Man of Steel event going on, so stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment