Sunday 16 June 2013

One for my Dad...

Happy Father's Day!

A big shout out to all daddy, dads, grand dad, and of course, baby daddy's and sugar daddy's. Those count as well...I think. Anyways, I wanted to do a little something special here for my old man. Who is my old man? Good question. My old man is none other then Jose Maria Cruz Fernandez AKA Pepe, as most friends and family calls him. My dad is the youngest of 8 siblings, that's right 5 older sisters and 2 older brothers, the runt of the litter. At a young age my dad was always fascinated with building and crafting things, he also enjoyed drawing out blue prints for future homes and houses. My dad is a pretty jolly guy, though he likes to be seen as a tough and strong man, but deep down and big softy. I was always taught to be strong, hide any kind of weakness. He wanted me to be someone who would go down fighting, instead of someone who runs away in fear. My dad actually spent most of his life in Canada, working hard to support the family, which meant I didn't get to see him as often as I would have liked, and after the divorce, well it was even less. I wish sometimes, that we could have all kept it together, that I could've had both mom and dad at home, but I can't be thinking of what could have been. Growing up, my dad would see things like video games and comics as silly little things that would disappear in time, something with no money or future in them. I am not going to lie, I love reminding him how wrong he is; the take over of Hollywood from comic book sources or the crazy success of video games and how it has evolved from the old Sega and Nintendo days. The best thing is though, is hearing him say he had that one wrong. I love my dad, maybe a lot more cause I just wished he was there more often, but my life gave me a different hand and I just had to play with what I was dealt. It's never been the most normal kind of relationship between us, I am the blackest sheep of the three, not being daddy's girl or dad's proud athlete. But I've always seemed to surprise him, the fact that I am very headstrong with what I want to do and I am going to do it, no matter what. And I am pretty sure I got that from him.


Today I gave my dad a call to Chile, to wish him a happy Father's Day and all, but I also decided to see how much comic book related knowledge I could get from him. I gave him the heads up that I was going to blog about this, so he knew in advanced, although I don't think he even knows what a blog is in the first place. So this is my comic book questions to my old man...

1.What's your favourite super hero?

Growing up in the old days, my dad was a big fan of Superman and Batman, the classic heroes of the golden age of comics. And this was back in the day when you could get a comic for 100 pessos, which isn't a lot but I am guessing back then it was a lot more. My dad would read these and trade with friends other stories, back in the simple days of comics. Also my dad was really into the Batman TV show, yup the Adam West one of course. He told me that kids would get together and all watch it at the one house with a TV. It would inspire all the kids as they played out episodes at school and in the playgrounds.

2. What's your favourite villain?

The Joker. Yeah, I didn't see that one coming. But keep in mind my dad never read or saw the sadistic murdering psychopath that we all know as The Joker. The last Joker my dad saw was in the Tim Burton Batman movie, although I thought as a kid he was pretty creepy. My dad thought he was still a little silly, I can see that a little bit. He was also a fan of Cesar Romero as The Joker. This was the sillier kind of Joker though, one that was more clown then psychopath. And my dad has yet to see The Dark Knight, I wonder what he would think of Ledger's take on the clown prince of crime.

3. One super power?

Super sight, my dad hates having to wear glasses. He said he would love to have Superman's kind of vision, to be able to see far and through walls. I asked if he wanted to have the heat rays as well, he said he wouldn't mind but it's more just to see better in general. I joke to him, saying that at least with glasses on, he looks trendy and smart.

4. Do you know how big my comic book collection is?

Maybe 5 books or something.

Oh dad, if you only knew. It's more like 5 boxes full of books. And I started small back in high school, I was going through a bunch of dollar bins of comics and finding a bunch of old classics and strange finds, it's what got me going. It wasn't until much later that I decided to start following a few series and now in days I want to keep track on all the series that I am following.

5. How would he feel about being in a comic?

He isn't in one already?! Ha ha, yes my dad is very cool with being in a comic book. So I am going to have to throw him into one of my books one of these days. So I am looking forward to sending him my work and show him how far I've come.

I am really happy my dad took the time to talk comics with me, I didn't think he would, so it was a real treat writing this out. I miss the old man, yes, but I am really focused right now on what I need to do to get things done and get my life going. I am not sure if I am ever going to be a father myself, but I am an SP uncle already, and that's a lot of fun and it's a learning experience as well. Cause it's one thing being raised by a father, it's a completely different story waking up every morning and rise to be the best father you can be. I think maybe one day I would like to be a dad, but I am not sure when, most definitely not anytime soon, that's for sure. But a big salute to all dad's today, it's the toughest and most rewarding job.

Thanks again for reading tonight, I know this one got a little more personal, but I love sharing with everyone. A big week ahead as far as work goes, I got a lot to catch up on and improve upon. And also be on the look out this Thursday, for the next episode of Time Well Spent. And you can catch the first episode on the Maddsketch channel on YouTube, and be sure to subscribe as well, a lot of content coming up, so stay tuned. And also, I will be back tomorrow with another blog or two, so I leave you guys for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment